Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A funny thing happen when I went to the mechanic...

So I have a new car.
It looks like this.


And by "new" I mean new to me.
And I love it.
And by love it I mean 30 mpg.

This was my old car.
I really loved it.


And by really loved I mean 300,000 trouble free miles.
Chevy Suburban. Tons of room. Smooth ride.
And did I mention trouble free.
Until the day it died. And that was that.

Ok, so on to the funny...
My "new" car had some sort of electrical glitch and it had to go to the shop this morning.
Now, for the record, I don't have much "take the car to the shop" experience (refer to the 300,000 trouble frees miles mentioned above.).
I follow my guy to the shop and he parks in the front lot and I can see that the service lot is around the side so I head that way. And there is a stop sign hanging on the side of a little kiosk thing which is empty. So I stop. I look both ways. And I continue on into the service lot and park my car in an empty space. And then I glance in the rearview and I see that every man in the place is staring at me/my car. And I get the feeling that I am not supposed to be back there. But what am I going to do? Turn around and drive back out? Stay put? Fly off into the great unknown?? Good grief.
I decide to go with the get-out-of-the-car-and-act-like-nothing-is-wrong-plan.
It worked ok. The service manager came over and asked me if I needed anything and I said that I had an appointment to get my car serviced and he said he would be glad to help me with that, and all the while he is leading me out of the unauthorized area and into the approved customer zone. And he was very nice and he did not mention my big faux paus.
But my guy did.
"Why did you drive the car back there? Didn't you see the stop sign?"
"Yes I did see the stop sign. That is why I stopped right there before I drove into the parking lot".
"Everybody knows that stop sign means stop and wait here for help".
"What do you mean everybody knows that. I am somebody and I didn't know that".
"Well I don't know how you got to be 40 years old and not know that".
(And it was so sweet the way he said 40. Like it was true.)
"That is so dumb. If they want you to stop and stay, why don't they say so. When you walk into a restaurant the sign either says "seat yourself" or "please wait to be seated" it doesn't just say "stop".
"That is what the line is for. The stop sign means stop. The LINE on the ground means stay here".

And how can a girl argue with this. I mean really.
And by girl, I mean barely 40 years old.

1 comment:

  1. I tell u my MIL also had a Suburban. She raised 5 boys. The car (or truck whatever you wanna call it) had nothing fancy (it didn't even have carpet she used throw rugs and washed them) but she put almost 350,000 miles on that car and still says it was the best vehicle she has ever owned!

    ReplyDelete