Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 3: The Grocery Store

The grocery store is always a good place to find a few cultural differences and other interesting things when you travel. And, because it is pretty much self serve, you can start to familiarize yourself with some of the local lingo. So, this is where we decided to begin the day.

It took my guy exactly 1.3 seconds to decide that we would be eating this...

"It's pork and bacon", he announced with great enthusiasm!

And check this out... big bags of flax seed right here in the regular grocery store. I have to make a special trip to the health food store to get this.


Couscous comes in big bags too, not those little boxes we get.


But, on the down side, the milk comes in plastic bags. Weird.


And if you want a cold one...well be ready to cough up a bundle. Even crummy ol' Budweiser is 24 bucks a case!


So, this is where the self serve part ends and the personal interaction begins. We put the groceries on the conveyor belt and my guy greets the lady with a "Bonjour". She greets him back and then asks him something. He looks at her and then at me...and then he just walks to the end of the counter.
This I assume, is my clue to set up and take over. So, I start with a Bonjour. She bonjours me back and asks me the question. But, before I could even respond she repeated it in English. Whew! Yes, I would like to buy a plastic bag to put my groceries in, and thanks for the English!

I think I am starting to see how it is that my guy is going to address the language barrier.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! You should have taken a French dictionary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering how you get the milk out of the plastic bags....

    ReplyDelete