Saturday, September 11, 2010

Camel Spiders

We met so many interesting people when we took our daughter to college. And today I am going to tell you about 2 of them. Actually, I am going to tell you a story they told me.
Their names are Diane and Betty and they are cousins (by blood and marriage) of Becca's new landlady. One of the ladies was married to the other one's brother so they have a nephew in common. Confusing, I know, but just go with it. Now the nephew is a soldier who is currently serving in Afghanistan.

So we are having dinner one night, and one of them asks me if I have ever heard of camel spiders....

"No, I haven't".
"Well, our nephew is in Afghanistan and he has seen several. The soldiers shoot them because they are so big".
"How big is "so big""?
"Big". And she holds up her arms and makes the biggest circle you can possibly make with your arms.
"No way".
"Oh yes! Our nephew told us about them".
"They are this big?" I ask, mimicking the giant circle.
"Well, that includes the legs. The body itself is only about this big", and she holds up her hands like she is holding a big melon.
"You have got to be kidding! The body is this big," I say, mimicking the melon.
"Yes. They are big blood suckers. They attach themselves to the bottom of camels and suck their blood".
"Oh my gosh! I don't think I want to know about these spiders."
"Yeah," says the other one, " and they stand about this tall". She indicates something about as tall as a coffee table. "And they run fast".
Then my daughter chimes in and says "Yeah Mom, I heard that they will take bites out of the soldiers calves as they are trying to run away".
"Becca, is that really true" I squeak, hoping she is gonna start laughing and say this is all one big joke.
"That's what I heard, Mom", and she is completely serious.
Now I am thinking to myself, "Afghanistan is definitely going on the list of places I am NEVER visiting. Ever".

I have been thinking about these spiders a lot since we got home , and I needed to know if this stuff is true or not. So, I decided to consult the source of all wisdom and knowledge...Google. And this is what I found.

Also of note is the fact that camel spiders are practically super stars on You tube. You can watch a video here.

And that is all I know, (and all I ever want to know) about camel spiders!!

1 comment:

  1. That is more information that any person would care to know.

    ReplyDelete