Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Squirrel Update

First of all, the little mama squirrel is still alive and well.
Secondly, I have not seen any babies yet.
And thirdly, this is where things get sideways, I am having second thoughts about my role as squirrel guardian. And let me tell you why.

Last Thursday we had some friends over for dinner. We were eating out in the pergola, which is under the oak tree where the squirrel has her nest. I saw her roaming around in the branches and pointed her out to my guests. Then I told them the story that I told you last week. Well, they all started groaning and mumbling about how foolish it was to let her nest in my tree top.
"Do you have any fruit trees around here, or a garden," asked Grandpa George.
"You know I do, George, you help me work in it every year," I say.
"Not any more you don't," says Bill.
"What are you talking about," I say to them.
Well, apparently, that squirrel and her babies are up in that tree right now, planning and plotting the destruction of my garden and orchard. Can you believe that.

Then, my so called friend Tamy (whom I love dearly), who is not currently returning my phone calls or emails (some lame-o excuse about being a very busy home schooling mother of nine, like that is a valid excuse) leaves me this comment:
Oh, my precious friend! Just reading this makes me miss you and your delightful sense of humor, justice, reality and creativity all the more!! Please do let us know if the little squirrels live long enough to be garden pests to all your neighbors. Can only imagine your "what-a-guy" husband saying all those things to you. Very funny!! Thanks for sharing. ~Tamy

So now what. I want to see little babies squirrels running around and playing in my yard. But, I also want to harvest a bumper crop this year. My guy and Grandpa George and Bill all offered to take care of the problem for me, but no way am I doing that. I'd prolly have nightmares for weeks. So, as much as it pains me to say this, I guess my guy's survival of the fittest and cycle of nature crap was really not such a bad idea after all.

So, if you drive by my house and notice that all of the curtains are drawn shut, you'll know why.

1 comment:

  1. So, are you drawing the curtains so you don't have to watch Zombie devour the squirrels? or so you don't have to watch the squirrels devour your garden?

    ReplyDelete